An ERP with an Integrated Workflow Management tool
One of our customers recently asked us a question during our presales activities.
“How can I inform my Stores person on what he has to do today? What Invoices, he should be packing and shipping to which client? I can’t send an email every time or call him what to do. Can your ERP handle this communication problem?”
“This question put us into thinking how can we help our customer, as it seems a common problem?”
One of his business workflow case was as below
Traditional ERP does the following activities.
- They are Data centric and not a Process centric like define masters, Control data setups and use them for the transactions.
- Do the transactions and store the data and related information.
- Capture these data and act on it. It ensures that right data is available for the right people to act and work on it.
- All these data are stored and generated in multiple MIS formats for the management to understand and act on.
- It interconnects the departments, its activities and smoothens the process.
But, the traditional ERPs were never
- An alert or decision making systems. Because we can do data analysis after the data / transaction is done and not before these data are produced.
- A workflow management process or Business Process management (BPM)
- Communication engine between different departments and define additional data movement and controls.
- Controlling business process based on end users criteria or as per their needs.
When we started analysing the details, the real business challenges to match the customer expectation are as below.
- Each customer wants his own process, control mechanism.
- Each one has his own workflow and approval process — for example each can have his own process.
- Some wants to create a Sales Order, Check with Finance whether they received money or not? After receipt then confirm SO and release to production.
- Some customer has a process of take an order and check with Stores whether these items available to confirm the Order with customer. Here based on the SO Amount, the approval authority could change by Director or Unit heads or MD.
- The workflow has to be flexible as each one can have their own status comments and with their own “wordings”
- Sales Order created
- SO Created and approved.
- How to integrate the same with ERP and make sure it too understands these “Word Based”action commands?
- How these comments makes sense to their Internal Teams and how they work seamlessly?
“This is where ACTouch.com’s Business process management or Workflow Management Engine is defined”
Workflow management or Business process management (BPM) tool should be central to business needs and helps the Business to manage their complex internal communication process and action to happen based on some trigger etc. This helps company’s efforts to improve the process and efficiency. Workflow Management tools and Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) been used for many business integrations. Both technologies can help with business process automation, data transfer, and information sharing, the technological approach and features of solutions provided.
Advantages of Workflow Management Software
Business process is divided into multiple components.
- Your business process is divided into multiple components and each one is managed by different department to approve and accept.
- Each department has to accept or agree before the next activity can begin.
- Each business components are logically connected with time bound work.
Hard-wired ERP modules are converted into WORKFLOWS based on your NEED’s
Move away from the Traditional Data centric activities to Process Centric activities. Based on the Business process and controls, each of the business components are used and reused.
Activities are Time based and it gives alert on who has to act and before which cut-off date etc.
Workflow Management helps the business to redefine their process to reduce the frictions and reduce wastage of time.Activities are moved into self-automation mode and helps management to find the bottlenecks and the process that needs to be simplified.
Improve communications and intercompany relations.
Beautiful dashboard helps the business to see the work to act on it and every department has their own visible work to act.
Enhances the customer communication and creates the activity visibility to management.
There are many more benefits…